Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Price to Pay

So apparently a lot of my friends are against blogging and advised me not to do this but here I am, "blogging" away. In a way I still think the whole thing is kind of silly, maybe a bit middle school, but I thought it would be a good way to reflect on things and to solidify thoughts and ideas. I tend to daydream in class and right when I start putting pieces together in my head it kind of crumbles and my attention is turned elsewhere. So maybe this will work- who knows. 
So one of the things I've been mulling around for years is the debate if humans are naturally good or evil creatures. I've had a lot of class discussions on the topic and talked with bunches of friends about their opinion on the subject and it always surprises me when people believe that humans are naturally evil. I find the lack of faith in the human race astonishing. Actually-its kind of like a lack of faith in the Creator Himself. Why people choose to believe that humans are naturally evil is beyond me but I do realize that there is a price to pay in trusting that we're all inherently good. 
Last fall, when I lived in my house on Samford, a guy knocked on my door and asked if he could rake the leaves in my front yard for some money. He said that he really needed the money for his family and I would be doing him a huge favor. I didn't really mind the leaves in the yard to be honest but I wanted to help him help himself. So I agreed and he started working. A little while later I brought him a glass of water, sat down and talked about his family, and payed him. He said he would be right back to finish raking and that he had to get the trash bags from his truck which he parked around the corner to put the leaves in. An hour later and still no sign of him. I sat down on my floor and cried not because I had such a stupid,  gullible moment or because he had stolen my money  but because I realized that I would always believe that people are good and that I would always get taken advantage of for that. I told a few of my close friends the story and they criticized me for being so dumb to believe his story. Now, yes, I have learned my lesson and I'll be more cautious about those types of situations but I refuse to be one of those people that assumes everyone is out to get me. People are afraid to walk through parking lots by themselves past sunset because the person that just got out of the car two rows over is probably a serial rapist or a murderer. No one will donate to the homeless on the side of the street because they'll probably just spend it on booze anyway. If you spend your whole life thinking of other people like that you will never be the one to shine God's light on anyone. People that think like that end up thinking that everyone is out to get them and no one can be trusted. It is a horrible, lonely, faithless way to live. I would rather be proven gullible and lose money every day for believing in the good of people than spend one hour with the opposite mindset.
So it sucks getting walked on, taken advantage of, constantly feeling vulnerable and gullible but Mother Teresa's quote is a constant reminder that these things are all manageable when you think about the eternal reward. No matter how hard you try at anything people are going to stomp on you but you should still try. I know that people will try to prove me wrong and show me a million examples of how people are evil but I'm just going to believe that they're good anyway.

"People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway." 
— Mother Teresa

1 comment:

  1. JULIE! I love this! It raises a very interesting point. We do tend to be weary of strangers from the get-go, an in many cases it's because that's what we are taught. But I like your stance on the subject.

    ... and I think you should blog more!

    ReplyDelete